Monday, January 4, 2010

The Fires - date unknown

His face was weathered and ashen and covered in the soot of what’s been burned.  Nothing but its dry empty remnants smudged under his eyes and pushed deep into the cracks in his face. 
“How many?” I asked him
“Too many, you’d better get out of here.”
He ran with the good instinct of the coward, so in form with the fool I kept following the howls. 
They had spent enough time getting ready, digging moats, stocking up on food and weapons. 
I never doubted they’d be able to put up one hell of a fight, but fallsview had it better.   
Everyone always used to talk about it like the last stand, the one place we knew we could fall back to and hold until the end of time.  When you get comfortable in these thoughts, you slip up… 
They had gotten comfortable, and each step I take towards them is another march into anxiety.
People already started to jump ship, and I can’t be sure she won’t be one of them.

No comments: