Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Meaning - Date Unknown

For a long time now all I have seen down the road ahead is doom and gloom.
With good reason of course.
After all we’ve done to each other, all the awful plans we had in store for one another, how can you blame me?  The future has been bleak at best, and that’s a hard tomorrow to walk into.  But hope lies in the step we take into the unknown, the choice we make to shatter this dark future.

Those who work so hard to hide our salvation always do so behind curtains of fear and certain death.  They aren’t fools after all, they know it works every time.  Too many have been brought up to think their strength lies somewhere outside of themselves.  Many fall victim to these clever tricks and go through life with empty hearts.  I used to see them passing me every day, their sleeping souls floating behind those thirsty glassy eyes.  

Things change though.  Even the big stuff we think will always stay the same.  It is in this where I find my solace, my comfort in a hope for hope.  If this is not a reason to endure, I know not what else could be.

That has been the trick this whole time.
So many people immediately brandished the most violent lashes of their force.  But no one can keep that up forever.  Our enemy isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and his best accomplice follows you wherever you run to, because it hides in you.  The damage is always two fold when you do battle on your own ground, all the victims and pitfalls of its course sink into the mud and permeate the earth of our hearts.  The aftermath stays around long after the rain does its best work, and our scars bear a constant reminder to how deep their hold is on us.

I’m not special, I’ve never thought that somehow I’d end up where I am today.  All I know is that I’m here whether I like it or not, and these days ahead are mine to make.  You have to be patient though, and you must endure.  Fear and horror are the campaigns of their war on us, those who cannot stand the sights of them cannot stand against their tyranny over the human spirit.  That is what this is about after all, holding onto the purest forms of the human condition in an attempt to keep the candle lit as we march through the dark.  Sometimes this means bearing witness to the awful stuff.  After all, someone has to, otherwise it will fade into vanity, a shame indeed.

This has always been our struggle, to bring meaning into this world and nurture it into something that can pass itself on.  We’ve always come up with the cleverest ways of doing this, in the face of everything we've done, we’ve still carried our stories through time. 
As insurmountable the odds seem, nothing’s changed. We’ve always been up against the end, it has just never been so pronounced as it is now.  I’ve seen the weak ones let it rattle their resolve, but those of us who know what’s at stake here, they hold their ground like it’s the last piece of the world they can call their own.  I know that for better or worse, I have no choice but to push on and do the only thing it is I know.

Keep this alive.

No comments: