Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Odds - Date Unknown

There is nothing to be found in this world worth living for that does not demand sacrifice.  Many of us choose different things that we’re willing to give up or turn our backs on, but no matter who you are, the piper has to be paid.  

I myself am no exception to the rule, and there is so much that I have lost in the names I keep on the tip of my tongue.  These days there isn’t anything but time to waste thinking about all the choices that have brought me to where I stand right now, the journey with a dangerous path.

The road inside oneself is uncharted and treacherous, many find themselves lost forever, trapped in the never ending maze of questions.  Not many are brave enough to see what lives within, and when they finally do, the scare is enough to make anyone forget anything they ever saw or even worse drive them mad.  The brave ones, they have what it takes to look the devil in the eye and put him in his place.

Despite this, you can’t win all the time, and its days like these that make me question my resolve.  These days the battles are long, and they’re not over until they’ve taken every last ounce of your strength.  Going on in the face of this is quite possibly the definition of impossible.

It’s am impossible world we live in though, and it’s that fact alone that has kept me going throughout the whole ordeal.  If I hadn’t seen all the things I have up until now, this all might have ended for me a long very long time ago.  I’ve seen the odds beaten, the rules broken till they’re black and blue, until I can’t even tell if up is up or down is down anymore.  It’s in the face of this that one can hope to prove them all wrong.

The hit’s just keep on coming, and for so long this is something we’ve tried desperately to insulate ourselves from.  You can only deny such a truth for so long, eventually it will grow tired of your games and come knocking with full force.  I’ve known this since long before all this began, and I know it is one of the very few things I have left from the old world.  When you live on the run, there isn’t room for baggage of any kind.  I’ve spent all this time cutting parts of myself loose to make room for the more critical burdens.

It’s in this sea of loss here men lose themselves.
I cannot let myself be another one of them.

No comments: