Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Simple Stuff - Date Unknown

It’s the sad songs we always seem to dance to.
As lovely as that is, even in the undeniable grace of our practiced steps we can’t deny the tune of our hearts beating in unison.  There seems to be no hope in the things I hope for, the ground we’ve rooted  ourselves in is cold and void of the rich life I thought that I tasted on your lips.

I’m not sure what it is about the song of sorrow and its power to bring us together, but I cannot deny the rhythm that it has us trapped in.  I’ve been dancing around for so long now that I’ve started to come to my senses.  We always promised it would never be like this, that nothing would ever let us become so lost.  Now I know, keeping that promise is breaking me, and it is destroying both of us in the process.

Too often we’re willing to charge into certain death just to prove a point.
That’s a great way to get yourself killed, but it’s no way to see something through until the very end.  I have never been content with unfinished business, this is no exception.  I know that I can’t go on anymore carrying your name and all that it means to me.  Instead I have to remember my own reasons for doing this, for going on in the face of everything.  There’s no way I will ever forget you, but much of the memory will have no choice but to slip away.

I suppose that’s one of the catch 22’s that have snuck up on me.  The choices are becoming fewer and farther between.  As difficult as it is to have so much taken, you cannot deny the weight that becomes lifted, the burden of responsibility that vanishes, and how the world becomes so much simpler.  The wrath of the world has always brought us back to basics, but how quickly we can forget such reminders.

I wonder if it just got tired of us not listening, the world that is.  If it got tired of our narrow and impenetrable minds.
So it turned itself upside down and started to shake us off.
There’s no room for disbelief when the sky is falling, everyone runs for dear life.  The trick was giving us something we couldn’t run from anymore.  This didn’t stop people from trying, and they met their end with turned backs and the scent of a coward on their panicked breaths.  The only ones who were left standing were those who knew when to stand their ground.  Though many of them met death, at least they saw it coming and forced him to see the fire that lives in the hearts of men.

This is a long and lonely road.  Once you’ve gone down it enough, that hellfire that churns in a man’s heart is slowly smothered by the landscape of its mirror, the darkness.

We all have different reasons why we go on, why we fight like this, at the end of the day,they do not matter.  All that counts is the courage to walk into the dark.

I can still remember when I was a little boy and terrified of the dark.  I can still see all the horrors I imagined that were waiting for me in the blackness, all those nights I spent curled up in a ball under the blankets, a terrified prisoner of myself.  People rarely grow out of that fear.  Though they’ll never admit it, there is a darkness out there that still sends shivers down all of our spines, that makes us feel like that scared little child again.  This never changes, the only difference between them and I is that despite the terror that waits, I know the only way out of this is through that blackness.

You have to be careful with what you carry in with you and you must forget all that you’re afraid to lose.  Fear is loudest when it echos in the darkness, it never has to lift a finger, it knows our own destruction lies within.

For so long I had been lost in the dark, even now I still wonder if I really have cleared the boundaries of its grasp.  Lost in there I found something very few people do a second chance, a future.
How could I pass that up?

People turn their backs on you all the time, there is no escaping that.  But what you turn your back on, that is a different story.  Too often people are in the clutches of the awfulness and they turn away salvation, hope, and promise.  Seeing one destroy himself is hard to bear, after all we’ve lost, to see us destroy ourselves is beyond shameful.  I always used to tell myself they didn’t know any better, but I know now more that never, that is no excuse.

No comments: